Girl students in Uttar Pradesh have a reason to cheer. As many as 99,000 meritorious girls from the state who cleared Class XII in 2015 will get Rs 30,000 each from the Kanya Vidya Dhan Yojana of the UP government. An amount of Rs 300 crore has been sanctioned for the scheme and district magistrates (DMs) have been told to make a list of eligible students. The amount will be given to the girls irrespective of the board they passed their Class XII from and will include students from ICSE, CBSE and UP Board.
"All the district magistrates are instructed to make a list of the meritorious girls from their district and send it to the Madhyamik Shiksha Parishad authorities in Lucknow. Thereafter, a fixed number of girls from each district will be selected on the basis of merit and will be given the amount," read the government order released by chief secretary Alok Ranjan.
The order dated June 18 was made public on Sunday. The Kanya Vidya Dhan Yojana scheme was launched by UP CM Akhilesh Yadav in 2012-13, wherein initially the government distributed Rs 30,000, but the amount dipped to Rs 20,000 the next year. Initially, this scheme was for all the girls who cleared their intermediate under UP Board. But later on, the government decided to shrink its reach and give the one-time grant of Rs 30,000 only to meritorious girls from all the boards. The fresh order is reason to cheer for all those girls who passed Class XII this year as eligible ones will now get the amount.
Only girls whose family income is less than Rs 35,000 per year can apply for this scheme. It should be noted that a fixed number of beneficiaries have been decided from each district of the state and the authorities at Madhyamik Shiksha Parishad will shortlist the names of the girls once they get the list from the respective DMs.
"20% of the total girls will be from minority community, while 21% will be from scheduled castes and scheduled tribes. The total of Rs 300 crore that has been allocated will be distributed such that 75% of the total will go to girls from UP Board and the remaining will be distributed between CBSE (75% of the remaining) and ICSE (25% of the remaining)," read the order by Ranjan. Moreover, the DMs concerned will be responsible for ensuring the funds are properly distributed to deserving students and utilized for their future, the order adds.
Copyright © 2014 Madhyamic Shiksha Board